Image & Beauty Consultant
YOU ARE THE MESSAGE!
The initial impression you make creates an assumption that leaves a lasting effect on others. One of the greatest discoveries of the last century was in the area of human development. Study after study showed that your self-confidence is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
"What We Think We Are, We Are!”
"CLASS" - How to get it and use it, creates the moment of truth for those desiring to get ahead in today's social and business enviroment.
· Business Etiquette
As A Professional Image, Beauty & Makeup Consultant, Susan Jeske, Former Ms. America® Has Given Head-To-Toe Image Advice To Corporate Executives, Political Leaders, Debutants, Pageant Contestants And Community Leaders For Over 15 Years. She Has Been Featured On Television, Radio, Newspapers And Magazines Nationally And Around The World.
ASK Ms America ®
What is the number one beauty treatment?
Drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day is the best beauty treatment on earth. One glass of water is equal to one cup. So make sure that you are getting the water you need to keep yourself beautiful and healthy.
What is the correct way to apply fragrance?
Apply your fragrance before dressing to avoid staining your clothing and accessories. Heat rises so just applying scent to the top half of your body means it won’t last long. Apply fragrance to your pulse points because skin is warmer here and blood is closer to the surface, so scent is more diffused into the air. Start from your ankles and work your way up. Apply fragrance to your pulse points such as ankles, calves, behind the knees, inner thighs, wrists, crooks of arms, between breasts (over the heart for men), base of and behind the ear lobes. I personally like to spray my fragrance onto my hairbrush and brush it though my hair which lasts all day.
Secret Face Mud Mask used by expensive spas – Kitty Litter!
That’s right Kitty Litter! One would think that some of these expensive spas are getting their mud from some exotic place in the
I snagged my nail and I cannot find a file.
What can I do to make the pores on my face look smaller?
Ms. America ® 2007-08, Jane Park Smith recommends, “After you cleanse your face, use a good toner such as True Elements Toner to tighten the pours. Choose a foundation that is oil free which you would blend evenly. Then take Mineral Fusion Foundation and distribute evenly all over. This will conceal your large pores and give you the most coverage that lasts all day!”
Puffy eyes or tired and need a quick pick me up?
Take 2 teaspoons and put it in the refrigerator overnight. When you wake up in the morning lay each one over your eyes! When I was Ms. America ® and I needed a quick pick me up, I would take the teaspoons and run them under cold water for a minute and then lay it over each eye. Sometimes I would even have an ice bucket filled with ice and put them in there in the morning so that when I got back to the hotel they were ready.
I don’t want to wear eye shadow. What else can I do to help make my eyes pretty?
Apply foundation that is two shades darker and then don’t forget to wear black mascara.
I have small eyes. Are there any makeup tips to make them appear larger?
I learned this secret from a famous model and used this in the Ms. America ® Pageant when I won. Use white eyeliner on the inside of the eye. You can also use it along the lash line and then smudge it with a sponge applicator. Another great eye opener is to use just a shimmering white eye shadow in the corner of your eyes on both sides. Makes your eye look larger and creates drama.
A large red pimple that has developed overnight! What can I do?
Jane Park Smith – Ms America ® 2007-08 says. “To get rid of the redness, I recommend that you take Visine Eye Drops and put it on a cotton ball. Hold it onto the pimple for about 3 minutes which will take the redness away. Then I will apply extra foundation or conceal or to the area of the pimple. In a pinch, you can also take toothpaste, not gel toothpaste, and blend it well on the pimple.
I want to make a homemade easy face mask. What do you recommend?
On one of my many trips to
What can you recommend that I can do to make my eyes stand out more?
Black mascara and use an eyelash curler. When eyelashes are straight they tend to curtain your eyes making them appear smaller. When eyelashes are curled upward then the iris is revealed making them appear larger. Investing in a good eyelash curler is a must. The one that I like and so does the reigning Ms. America ® is made by Shiseido which is $17.50. First curl your eyelashes by gripping your lashes with the curler and hold for 15 seconds. Release and then apply black mascara. If needed curl again and apply another coat of mascara. Another trick is to first warm up your eyelash curler with your hairdryer for 10 seconds. Make sure it is not too hot and then curl. Or if you forgot your eyelash curler you can always use a teaspoon which many women prefer.
Do you have Bad Breath and you are not carrying breath mints with you?
If you are at a restaurant, usually they serve parsley on your plate which has chlorophyll and is a natural breath fresher. Pick it up and chew on it really well before swallowing. You can also chew on some basil, ginger or mint leaves. Ask the waiter to bring water to the table with lots of lemon which will also refresh your breath.
Do you know of a natural way to whiten my teeth?
Here is a homemade recipe that my mother would use. Take 1 teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon hydrogen peroxide and 1 drop oil peppermint. Mix until it turns into a paste, and then dip your toothbrush into the mixture and brush as usual.
You can also make your teeth instantly appear whiter by the color of lipstick that you choose. If you have teeth that are gray, choose warm shades such as bronze or copper. If your teeth are yellow, choose lipsticks that are blue based shades or on the cool side.
What can I do to make my lipstick last longer?
When you are applying your foundation cover your lips with foundation too. If you power your face, use this same powder at the same time to cover your lips. Outline your lips in lip pencil and color in. Then cover again with powder. Apply your lipstick and it will last all day!
I would like to go to a weight loss facility or retreat for a week or more. Is there any place that you would recommend that is not too expensive?
I highly recommend the Optimum Health Institute (OHI) which provides guests a holistic approach that focuses on nutritional, physical, mental and emotional well being. They have two locations:
Go to www.optimumhealth.org web site to find out more information.
I put on too much perfume or cologne. What can I do without taking a shower?
Just take a sponge, washcloth or even tissue that you damp with warm water and soap. Apply to your pulse points or where you applied the fragrance. Remember: Do not apply fragrance to your clothing, only to your skin.
Run out of shaving cream?
Use hair conditioner instead. It will soften your hair making it easier to shave.
I don’t have time to color the roots of my hair. What can I do quickly to cover it up?
If you really do not have time use a matching mascara on the roots. Or you can go to the beauty supply store and buy sticks that are for this purpose and it works great!
ASK Ms America ®
In today’s fiercely competitive business arenas, protocol and etiquette intelligence will distinguish you from a crowd. Business etiquette is the cornerstone of success and will help you outclass the competition.
Table manners play an important part in making a favorable impression. They are visible signals of the state of our manners and therefore are essential to professional success. Regardless of whether you are having lunch with a prospective employer or dinner with a business associate, your manners can speak volumes about you as professional.
As a general rule of thumb, start with the utensils on the outside and work in toward the plate, always using a clean utensil for each course. For example, there are three forks in a formal place setting. The outside fork is for the appetizer, the next for the salad, the third for the entree, and the butter knife appears on the bread plate. The small spoon to the right of your knives is for the sorbet, which is served between courses to cleanse the palate. You’ll also notice a spoon and another fork at the top of your place setting. The spoon is for coffee or tea and the small fork is for dessert.
When Using The Fork And Knife, Use One Of Two Methods:
When seated at a round table with many dining guests, oftentimes it is confusing as to whose bread plate is on which side and whose side and whose water glass and coffee cup is whose. The rule at the table is: Your bread plate is always to the left of your place setting, and your water and coffee are always to the right. Easy way to remember is: Solids on the left, liquids on the right.
· Place your napkin in your lap as soon as everyone at your table is seated. Never shake your napkin open. If you leave the table during the meal, your napkin goes on your chair. After the meal is over, lay your napkin on the table to the left side of your plate.
· Keep your free hand on your lap. Never place elbows on the table.
· Don’t place a purse, briefcase or other belongings on the table. They go on your lap or under the table by your feet.
· Waiters and waitresses will serve you from the left and remove your dishes from the right.
· Begin eating when everyone at your table has been served.
· When passing, the salt and pepper should always be passed together, even if asked for separately.
· When passing other foods, if you begin the pass, offer it to the person on your left, help yourself and then pass to the right.
· Bread should be broken, never cut. Tear off a small bite-sized piece and butter it. Do the same with rolls. Lay your butter knife down with the blade to the inside.
· When butter is being passed, cut a pat and place it on your bread plate.
· Taste your food before seasoning it. Otherwise you are insulting the cook or host.
· Always scoop food away from you.
· To eat soup properly, dip the spoon into the soup, moving it away from the body, until it is two thirds full. Then sip the liquid (without slurping) from the side of the spoon. It is fine to tilt the bowl slightly (away from the body) to get the last spoonful or two of soup.
· Fried Fantail Shrimp should be picked up by the tail and eaten by the fingers.
· Chicken is eaten with a knife and fork.
· For hard to scoop items like peas, use your knife or a piece of bread to push items onto your fork. Never use your fingers.
· Never turn a wine glass upside down to decline. It is more polite to let the wine be poured and not draw attention. Otherwise hold your hand over the wine glass to signal that you do not want any wine.
· Don’t blow on your food to cool it off. If it’s too hot to eat, then wait.
· Always chew with your mouth closed. Never talk with your mouth full.
· Turn off your cell phone or switch it to silent or vibrate mode before sitting down to eat. It’s impolite to answer a phone during dinner. If you must make or take a call, excuse yourself from the table and step outside of the restaurant.
· Do not use a toothpick or apply makeup at the table. Never brush your hair.
· Whenever a woman leaves the table or returns to sit, all men seated should stand up.
· When visiting the washroom always wash your hands before returning to the table.
· Do not push dishes away from you or stack them for the waiter when you are finished. Leave plates and glasses where they are.
· Once used, your utensils, including the handles, should not touch the table again. Always rests knives, spoons, and forks on the side of your plate or in the bowl. Any unused silverware is simply left on the table.
· For more formal dinners, from course to course, your tableware will be taken away and replaced as needed.
· Don’t clean up spills with your own napkin and don’t touch items that have dropped to the floor. Use your napkin to protect yourself from spills. Politely ask your server to clean up and bring you a replacement for the soiled napkin or dirty utensil.
· Don’t blow your nose at the table. Excuse yourself to visit the restroom. If you cough, cover your mouth with your napkin. If someone else is coughing do not start slapping on their back unless they signal for you to do so.
· At a formal setting, do not ask for a container to take food home. Informal dinner is ok.
· Do not ask others if you can taste their food.
· Pace your meal so that you finish at the same time as the host or the majority of the group at the table.
· To signal that your are done with the course, rest your fork, tines up and knife blade in, with the handles resting at five o’clock and tips pointing to ten o’clock on your plate.